Ingredients:
- 1 pound butter
- 2-10 oz. Bags washed and cleaned spinach
- 1 pound cottage cheese with chives
- 2 pounds filo dough
- 2 pounds feta cheese
- 8 eggs – room temperature
1. Melt a pound butter (keep on low)- to spread butter I usually use a paintbrush we keep in the kitchen
2. Cut stems off of spinach- I hate this part! It takes FOREVER!!! Oh, and don't forget to rise the spinach
3. Cut into pieces
4. Put in 8 eggs- in a bowl
5. Chop up feta, add- I always rinse the feta, it can be pretty salty in whatever liquid they package it in
6. Add cottage cheese- I don't usually use chive cottage cheese. I can never find it in the store
7. Mix with hands
8. Butter pan- I know it's silly to post a picture of a pan, but this is our special Spanikopita pan passed down for 5 generations
9. Add filo – wrinkle it- Filo is a very thin dough. You can get it at Publix, it isn't hard to find
10. Butter every layer
11. 4 layers with nothing- My family likes a lot of filo, I usually do at least 5 layers
12. Spread handful of ingredients atop 4th layer
13. 2 filos between each ingredient layer- again, I always do more. At least 3 filos
14. roughly 11 total layers of ingredients
15. use all butter at end on top- I never do this. Just way too much! But I do butter it more heavily than the other layers. Also shove the filo that sticks up around the edges of the pan down
16. cover with brown paper bag- I cut a rectangle out of a large grocery paper bag
17. Bake at 350 for one hour- And golden brown
18. Let cool but eat warm- enjoy!!
Freezes very well. We are putting the ones we made yesterday in the freezer until Thanksgiving. Sorry this is so disorganized. If you have any questions just ask! And if you try it let me know what you think!

4 comments:
wow you inspire me. That sounds so good. My oldest sister and brother-in-law love making/eating ethnic foods so I should go over to their place sometime and make it with them. =)
thanks for posting the recipe. love ya lady!
oh and by the way, I have no earthly idea of how to pronounce that name. :p I'll have to look it up.
Joanna,
That's so sweet! It's no big deal to me, I've pretty much grown up on the stuff. :) Let me see if I can pronounce it in typing. spa-nee-co-pe-ta. (I'm cracking myself up saying out loud all alone) There I think I got it.
that looks amazing. I want some like right now...yum!
Post a Comment